Monday, September 19, 2011

Reflection 2

     Well to reflect on this last week I finally finished the Wong book.  I really didn't like the book until the end when it started to praise teaching and tell us how much of a difference a good teacher makes.  I liked a lot of the tools he suggested in his book, but I feel that they are more for younger class.
     I recently visited my cousin who is a third grade teacher in Tucson Arizona and asked her if she knew about the Wong book.  She told me that the book was considered the bible for her school and if you haven't read it in a while you were sinning.  I asked her if she had the red and green toilet paper tubes or the triangle stand up for when the students needed help and she said that she didn't.  She does however use the hand signs for when they need a drink or want to go to the bathroom.  If you cross your fingers that means you need to use the bathroom.  In her classroom it works.  The only problem is that some kids can't do it very well and it makes it worse when they have to use the restroom and she related one experience when on child had an accident.
     Also in our conversation she told me about how hard it is to teach a class.  She said that she probably spends more time with these kids than some of their parents which is very sad and a huge responsiblity.  I remember that Geoff said something about how he loves his children's teacher because they spend so much time with them and they teach them morals.  My cousin also expressed how she had a handicapped child in her class and it slows teaching almost everyday.  Teaching is such a big commitment and requires a lot of dedication and patience.
     Something that I thought was an answer to my prayers was when Oaks gave the fireside on Sunday about the twin towers of truth and tolerance.  He said, "75% of college students believed that right and wrong were relative."  This made me feel that I was defiantly in the right major and that what I need to do is teach correct principles of the gospel to everyone that I can.  I can't directly do this by teaching the gospel but I can through my example and through teaching morals and by teaching students how to be good citizens of society.  That is was teaching is all about.  I really feel that this is what is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment